Weather To Fly
Use the WEATHER TO FLY system to learn what weather conditions to look for when planning your flight. The following links provide enhanced interpretation of weather data and a basis for further exploration. Also, call 1-800.WX-Brief for an FAA pre-flight briefing.
NOTE: Almost all weather observations and predictions originate from NWS.NOAA.gov and are interpreted for a number of different applications. AviationWeather.gov is where most aviation forecasts originate and are derived from. Basics for weather in the US are Cloud / Systems and Wind.
OVERALL WEATHER - The Big Picture
Fronts, Pressure Systems, Isobars (Weather Systems)
Winds – Surface to Jet Stream
- METAR | surface graphic | surface graphic 2 | FAA all | Intellicast jet | | SFSU Jet
Satellite Views – Clouds & Air Masses
- USA: Choose area | NOAA.gov | UNISIS-IR | Intellicast
- Our Planet: NWS 28km | Intellicast | Weather Central
LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS
Use the following to drill down to specifics for your area
Winds, Moisture, Stability and Barometer
- NOAA | FAA | Underground | USAirNet
Basic Local Forecast
- Intellicast – Enter location at top Weather.com – Enter zip code
- NOAA #1 – Click to your area NOAA #2 – Click to your area
Stability, Winds and Smoke
- Soaring Forecast (Vertical Winds) Local Graph– SoarForecast.com | Upper Air Data Details & Terms | Lifted Index | Total Totals | K Index
- Winds Aloft (Horizontal Winds) Winds Aloft Forecast (Tables) 1 Day – NOAA | Winds Aloft Forecast (Graphics) 3 Day – NOAA
- Smoke Air Quality
FAA RECOMMENDED WEATHER RESOURCES & NATIONAL AIRSPACE
- METARS – Aviation Routine Weather Report Observations
- TAF – Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) on line
- Use links below or call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for airspace restrictions
- NOTAM – Notice to Airman – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions– AeroPlanner.com
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – AOPA
OTHER WEATHER RESOURCES
- Listen to NOAA weather radio 162.55 / 162.400 / 162.475 Mhz
- Call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for weather, NOTAMS, flight planning
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) 1-800-767-9989
- Watch the weather channel.
- Watch your local TV weather information.
- Call others who may be looking at Weather to Fly information, to compare notes.
- Make sure to watch Weather To Fly for Sport Pilots with Paul Hamilton.