Weather To Fly ®
Use the WEATHER TO FLY system to learn what weather conditions to look for when planning your flight. The following links provide enhanced interpretation of weather data and a basis for further exploration. Also, call 1-800.WX-Brief for an FAA pre-flight briefing.
NOTE: Almost all weather observations and predictions originate from NWS.NOAA.gov and are interpreted for a number of different applications. AviationWeather.gov is where most aviation forecasts originate and are derived from. Basics for weather in the US are Cloud / Systems and Wind.
OVERALL WEATHER – The Big Picture
Fronts, Pressure Systems, Isobars (Weather Systems)
Winds – Surface to Jet Stream
- METAR | surface graphic | surface graphic 2 | FAA all | Intellicast jet | | SFSU Jet
Satellite Views – Clouds & Air Masses
- USA: Choose area | NOAA.gov | UNISIS-IR | Intellicast
- Our Planet: NWS 28km | Intellicast | Weather Central
LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS
Use the following to drill down to specifics for your area
Winds, Moisture, Stability and Barometer
- NOAA | FAA | Underground | USAirNet
Basic Local Forecast
- Intellicast – Enter location at top Weather.com – Enter zip code
- NOAA #1 – Click to your area NOAA #2 – Click to your area
Stability, Winds and Smoke
- Soaring Forecast (Vertical Winds) Local Graph– SoarForecast.com | Upper Air Data Details & Terms | Lifted Index | Total Totals | K Index
- Winds Aloft (Horizontal Winds) Winds Aloft Forecast (Tables) 1 Day – NOAA | Winds Aloft Forecast (Graphics) 3 Day – NOAA
- Smoke Air Quality
FAA RECOMMENDED WEATHER RESOURCES
and NATIONAL AIRSPACE
- METARS – Aviation Routine Weather Report Observations
- TAF – Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) on line
- Use links below or call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for airspace restrictions
- NOTAM – Notice to Airman – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – FAA
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions– AeroPlanner.com
- TFR – Temporary Flight Restrictions – AOPA
OTHER WEATHER RESOURCES
- Listen to NOAA weather radio 162.55 / 162.400 / 162.475 Mhz
- Call 1-800-WX-Brief (1-800-992-7433) for weather, NOTAMS, flight planning
- DUATS (Digital User Access Terminal Service) 1-800-767-9989
- Watch the weather channel.
- Watch your local TV weather information.
- Call others who may be looking at Weather to Fly information, to compare notes.
- Make sure to watch the Weather To Fly for Sport Pilots with Paul Hamilton.